When P is an Offender
Following the important and recent decision in DY v A City Council & Anor  EWCOP 51, the 39 Essex Chambers' Court of Protection team, returns to the question as to how the law approaches offenders or those at risk of offending when they don’t have the mental capacity to make decisions for themselves.
In this interactive seminar, members of the team and guests will address:
- How does a risk of offending impact on capacity assessments?
- Can a risk of offending, or history of offending impact a best interests decision?
- How do the decisions in DY, ZZ and JB impact on practice?
- An introduction to risk assessment tools.
- P in the police station and in prison.
- Medical treatment decisions for prisoners who lack capacity to consent.
- Q & A
Alex Ruck Keene KC, 39 Essex Chambers
Ian Brownhill, 39 Essex Chambers
Ben Troke, Hill Dickinson
Caroline Liggins, Hodge Jones & Allen
Donna Phillips, Spectrum CIC
Michael Layton, Consultant Psychiatrist
Gavin Dingwall, Sentencing Academy
Jessica Gallagher, Birmingham City University
Date and Time:
Tuesday 21 February 2023, 5-7pm
PLEASE NOTE: These webinars are hosted by Zoom. Please visit the Zoom website for their Terms & Conditions.
Click below to download the slides for the webinar.