Mental Capacity Report - February 2023
Welcome to the February 2023 Mental Capacity Report. Highlights this month include:
(1) In the Health, Welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Report: is depriving a person of their phone depriving them of their liberty, a reminder that the court is the ultimate arbiter of best interests and an Ombudsman comes belatedly to the rescue;
(2) In the Property and Affairs Report: a reminder of the new process for applying for deputyship and how the Powers of Attorney Bill would amend the MCA 2005;
(3) In the Practice and Procedure Report: the Vice-President intervenes on s.49 reports and new contempt rules;
(4) In the Wider Context Report: Parliamentary consideration of the draft Mental Health Bill, a toolkit for supporting decision-making, and confidentiality and common sense;
(5) In the Scotland Report: the Supreme Court dismisses an appeal against assessment for services and an opposed application for guardianship.
You can find our past issues, our case summaries, and more on our dedicated sub-site here, where you can also sign up to the Mental Capacity Report.
Click below to download the Screen-friendly version of the Report or the Print-friendly version of the Report.
Watch the February 2023 Mental Capacity Report walkthrough from Ruck Keene on Vimeo.