“A team player who can grasp complex facts quickly and present a compelling case.”
Philippa Jackson specialises in planning and environmental law administrative and public law, local government law and commercial law. She has been consistently ranked as one of the top planning juniors by Planning Magazine (2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018).
Planning, Environment & Property
Philippa undertakes a wide range of planning and environmental work, including public inquiries, public examinations into development plan documents, and challenges in the High Court and above. She acts for developers, local authorities and action groups. She has experience of advising and acting in relation to large-scale housing developments, cases involving significant heritage assets, national infrastructure and energy projects (including airports, marinas, highways schemes, solar farms and other renewable developments) and planning disputes outside the jurisdiction.
Examples of significant cases include:
- R (Brian Ross and Peter Sanders on behalf of Stop Stansted Expansion) v Secretary of State for Transport & Ors [2018-ongoing] Acting (with Thomas Hill QC) on behalf of Manchester Airports Group in opposing a judicial review of its application for planning permission to increase capacity at Stansted Airport and for associated infrastructure
- Hallam Land Management v SSCLG and Eastleigh Borough Council  EWCA Civ 1808: Acted (with Thomas Hill QC) for Hallam Land in both the High Court and Court of Appeal in section 288 proceedings challenging a Secretary of State decision to refuse permission for a substantial residential-led development in Eastleigh.
- New Providence Development Ltd v Windsor Field Development Ltd & Anor [2018-ongoing]: Acting (with Andrew Tabachnik QC) in injunction proceedings in the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas to prevent the construction of a new retail centre
- R. (on the application of Hollings) v Bath and North East Somerset Council  5 WLUK 375 Acted (as sole Counsel) for the Local Planning Authority in judicial review proceedings challenging the grant of planning permission and listed building consent for development within the Bath World Heritage Site on heritage and other grounds.
- R. (on the application of Marshall) v East Dorset DC  2 P. & C.R. 2: Acted (as sole Counsel) for the Local Planning Authority in judicial review proceedings concerning the interpretation of Class A of the GDPO, the prior approval process and the correct approach to the consideration of heritage assets in such applications
- R (Dignity Funerals Ltd) v Breckland DC  EWHC 1492 (Admin) Acted (with James Strachan QC) for the Claimant in challenging the grant of planning permission for a rival crematorium.
- R. (on the application of ClientEarth) v Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs  EWHC 1618 (Admin): Acted for the Mayor of London (sole Counsel) in relation to Client Earth’s high profile challenge to the Government’s attempts to delay publication of its Air Quality Plan
- R (Durham County Council) v Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government: Acted (with Peter Village QC) for the Local Authority in a judicial review challenge to quash an Inspector’s interim findings as to the soundness of its draft Local Plan (2015)
- Old Fort Bay Property Owners Association v Old Fort Bay Company Ltd: Acting (with Andrew Tabachnik QC) for the developer in relation to a legal challenge to the extension of a marina in the Bahamas (2015-ongoing). The challenge raises environmental, planning, property and commercial issues.
- R (Kingsley) v Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council & Ors : Acted (with Thomas Hill QC) for the Interested Parties in relation to a judicial review challenge to the grant of planning permission for 920 dwellings.
- R (Villages Action Group) v SSCLG  EWHC 2729 (Admin): : Acted (with Thomas Hill QC) for the Interested Parties in relation to a s288 challenge to the grant of planning permission for 78 dwellings.
- R (on the application of GRA Acquisition Ltd) v Oxford City Council  EWHC 76 (Admin): acted with Thomas Hill QC for the Claimant in this judicial review challenge to the Council’s decision to designate Oxford Greyhound Stadium as a conservation area.
- R (Botley Parish Action Group) v Eastleigh Borough Council & Ors  EWHC 4388 (Admin): acted for the interested party (with James Strachan QC) in resisting a judicial review challenge to the grant of planning permission for 1,400 dwellings.
- R (Church Commissioners for England) v Hampshire County Council & Anor  EWCA Civ 634, acted (with John Hobson QC) for the Defendant in judicial review proceedings in both the High Court and the Court of Appeal concerning the interpretation of section 15 Commons Act 2006.
- Stratford on Avon District Council v SSCLG & Ors  EWHC 2074 (Admin): Acted the interested party (with Thomas Hill QC), in resisting a challenge to the grant of planning permission for 800 dwellings at Stratford upon Avon.
Examples of significant inquiries include:
- Land at Great Bentley, Tendring: Acted (as sole counsel) for the developer at a six day planning inquiry relating to three appeals for 190 dwellings
- Debenhams Field, Gloucester: Acted for the University of Gloucester in successfully opposing an application to register a public footpath over land proposed for a new student accommodation campus
- Land at Thorpe Arch, Tadcaster: Acted (with Peter Village QC) for the Rule 6 party (“TAG”) at a four-week inquiry into the refusal of permission for 900 dwellings at Thorp Arch Trading Estate near Leeds
- Land at St Osyth’s Priory: Acted (with Peter Village QC) for the landowners (and applicants) at a four week inquiry concerning enabling development to secure the future of St Osyth’s Priory in Essex, one of the most important collections of heritage assets in the country.
- Land at University College Sports Ground, London: Acted (as sole Counsel) or the Rule 6 party at a five day inquiry into an appeal against the refusal of planning permission for a new sports facility and associated infrastructure in North London
- Land at Rose and Crown Farm, Norfolk: Acted (with Stephen Tromans QC) for the successful developer on an appeal against refusal for a 30 MW solar PV proposal in West Norfolk
- Land at Cofferidge Close, Stony Stratford: Acted (as sole counsel) for the successful local planning authority in a two week retail inquiry into a proposed new supermarket in a conservation area (2014)
- Riley’s Snooker Hall, Southfields: Acted (with James Strachan QC) for the Appellant in a four-day inquiry into the refusal of permission for a mixed-use retail, residential and leisure scheme
- Land North of Gilden Way, Harlow: Acted (with Peter Village QC) for Taylor Wimpey UK, Barratt Strategic and Persimmon Homes, in a two-week inquiry concerning an application for permission for 1,200 dwellings
- Land at Barton Farm, Winchester: Acted for Cala Homes (with Peter Village QC) at the high-profile inquiry into the refusal of planning permission for 2,000 dwellings in Winchester
Philippa also has experience of acting and advising in Lands Tribunal proceedings concerning compensation claims arising out of compulsory purchase orders.
Administrative & Public
Philippa has a varied public law practice, with a particular interest in education law.
Philippa regularly acts for parents, schools (in particular, academies and free schools) and local authorities in the First-Tier and Upper Tribunal in claims concerning special educational needs and disability discrimination. She also advises schools and local authorities on a range of matters, including school organisation, property and planning issues and Equality Act duties. Philippa also has extensive experience of school admissions and exclusions.
Cases of note include:
- SN v Nottinghamshire County Council  (SEN) UKUT 002 (AAC), instructed by the Defendant in this reasons challenge to a decision of the FTT in disability discrimination proceedings.
- R (Duddle) v Office of the Independent Adjudicator & Anor: instructed on behalf of the Claimant in judicial review proceedings concerning a challenge to the lawfulness of a decision of the OIA on public law and Equality Act grounds
Philippa has experience of advising and acting in company, contractual and insolvency disputes. Examples of cases include:
- Old Fort Bay Property Owners Association v Old Fort Bay Company Ltd: Acting (with Andrew Tabachnik QC) for the developer in proceedings in the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.
- Advising in respect of an allegedly fraudulent transfer of a number of valuable works of art
- Acting on behalf of the Defendant company and its director in a multi-track trial concerning the validity of a share issue and allotment, and alleged breaches of directors’ duties
- Acting on behalf of a Defendant company and its director in proceedings concerning alleged breaches of trust and breaches of fiduciary duties arising from a joint venture.
- Acting on behalf of the Defendants in respect of an application in the High Court for an order of sale under section 14 Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996.
“A team player who is able to grasp complex facts quickly and present a compelling case” The Legal 500