Eleanor is keen to develop a broad practice across all of Chambers’ specialisms, with a particular interest in civil liability, public law, planning and environment, and commercial and construction law.
Eleanor’s previous legal experience includes successfully appearing in the First-Tier Tribunal (Social Security Chamber) as a Free Representation Unit advocate, interning at the legal NGO Protimos, and co-writing a report on UK Article 3 jurisprudence for the charity Redress, which was submitted to the Parliamentary Inquiry into Twenty Years of the Human Rights Act and to the UN Committee Against Torture.
Eleanor is a member of ALBA, CPBA, UKELA and PEBA. Outside of pupillage, she is the legal editor at It’s Freezing in LA! – an independent, interdisciplinary climate change magazine.
So far during pupillage, Eleanor has assisted on a number of civil liability matters including:
- Drafting pleadings including a defence and counter-schedule in an Occupiers’ Liability claim; a defence and counter-schedule in a Road Traffic Accident claim including a Fatal Accidents Act component; and a particulars of claim and schedule in a clinical negligence claim
- Drafting a skeleton argument on procedural civil litigation issues including defective service of a claim form
- Advising on liability, quantum and fundamental dishonesty in a range of civil liability matters
- Researching the parallel application of the Human Rights Act 1998 in a common law claim in negligence
Administrative & Public
So far during pupillage, Eleanor has assisted on a number of public law matters including:
- Drafting grounds for a school admissions appeal
- Assisting on and observing a direct access case in the SEND tribunal
- Advising on the merits of several potential Human Rights Act claims
- Advising on the application of the Equality Act 2010
- Assisting on several cases involving EHC plans, including observing a mediation between a family and local authority
- Drafting a notice of objection to the Supreme Court
Planning & Environment
So far during pupillage, Eleanor has assisted on a number of planning and environmental matters including:
- Drafting summary grounds in a judicial review of a grant of planning permission for retail development
- Assisting on two planning inquiries including drafting cross-examination questions and closing submissions
- Advising on a range of planning matters, including: the operation of a new class of permitted development rights; the adoption of a neighbourhood development plan; the rerouting of a public highway; and the operation of the Public Sector Equality Duty in a planning case
- Researching the standing of companies formed by local action groups in judicial review claims