Adam Boukraa’s practice extends primarily across public law and human rights, regulatory law, and environmental and planning.
He appears regularly in a wide range of courts and tribunals, including the High Court, both as sole and junior counsel.
Regulatory & Disciplinary
Adam has a broad range of experience in regulatory and disciplinary law. Examples of his work include:
- Appearing on behalf of the HCPC in numerous applications to extend interim orders against registrants, including social workers, physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
- Significant experience in the regulation of political finance and electoral law. While on secondment to the Electoral Commission in May and June 2017, Adam advised on a range of issues arising out of the EU referendum and 2017 General Election.
- In environmental regulation, acting for Southern Water Services Ltd in a substantial dispute with the Environment Agency on changes to water abstraction licences (with Justine Thornton QC and Catherine Dobson).
- Assisting a healthcare regulator in responding to an external investigation report, covering issues including governance and fitness to practise procedures (with Alison Foster QC).
- Acting as part of a team appointed as a s.166 FSMA skilled person in a major FCA review of mis-sold interest rate hedging products.
- Assisting with the preparation of internal disciplinary cases against employees of a European organisation.
- Contributing to the chapter on the jurisdiction of regulators in the 8th and 9th editions of Jordan’s “Regulatory and Disciplinary Proceedings”.
Administrative & Public
Adam has a broad public law practice. Examples of his recent work include:
- In education law, appearing before the First-Tier Tribunal in special educational needs appeals, as well as advising on applications for judicial review.
- In mental capacity law, acting in Court of Protection cases. Adam has been instructed by the Official Solicitor, local authorities and individuals in cases covering a range of issues around capacity and best interests. He has also written for the Law Society PS Magazine on deprivation of liberty and assisted in providing training to solicitors on the Court of Protection.
- Advising the Electoral Commission on its statutory powers relating to a range of political finance and electoral regulation issues while on secondment in May and June 2017.
- R (The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee) v Secretary of State for Health  EWHC 1147 (Admin): Appearing on behalf of the claimant in a challenge to a consultation and funding decision for community pharmacy services. The grounds included breach of the Secretary of State’s Tameside duty and consultation obligations (with Alison Foster QC and Saima Hanif).
- Acting for the Financial Ombudsman Service in defending judicial review applications. Adam has also advised the FOS on a wide variety of matters, in particular in relation to its jurisdiction to consider certain complaints.
- R (Horeau and others) v Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs  EWHC 2102 (Admin): Defending a challenge to a consultation on the potential resettlement of individuals removed from the Chagos Islands (with Kieron Beal QC and Penelope Nevill).
- Kimathi v Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Assisting in the FCO’s defence of a large group of claims relating to the Mau Mau uprising, including two research trips to Kenya.
- Representing applicants for immigration bail in the First-Tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber), instructed pro bono by Bail for Immigration Detainees.
Adam has experience of a variety of commercial work. Examples include:
- In financial services, Adam has advised the Financial Ombudsman Service on issues including financial product mis-selling, unregulated collective investment schemes and consumer credit. He was also part of a team appointed as a s.166 FSMA skilled person in a major FCA review of mis-sold interest rate hedging products.
- Defending a car manufacturer in a breach of warranty claim.
- Defending a green energy company in a claim for misrepresentation and breach of contract.
- Defending a heating service and maintenance company against allegations of professional negligence.
Planning, Environment & Property
Adam has experience in a variety of environmental and planning law matters, with a particular focus on environmental work. Examples include:
- Acting for Southern Water Services Ltd in a substantial dispute with the Environment Agency on changes to water abstraction licences, culminating in a public inquiry (with Justine Thornton QC and Catherine Dobson). The case involved issues across the Habitats Directive, Water Framework Directive, domestic environmental law and the legislative regime governing water abstraction.
- Bains v Hounslow LBC  PAD 33: Successfully representing the appellant in challenging an enforcement notice on a residential property.
- Defending a statutory undertaker against claims arising out of sewage flooding.
- Assisting with advice on the hierarchy of environmental and planning law responsibilities for the clean-up of contaminated land.
- Identifying potential causes of action where waste has been deposited on land, including nuisance, negligence, trespass and s.34 EPA 1990.
- Assisting the update of the leading practitioner text on contaminated land.