Mental Capacity Report – June 2022
Welcome to the June 2022 Mental Capacity Report.
Highlights this month include:
(1) In the Health, Welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Report: Vaccine judgments; deprivation of liberty of 16- and 17-year-olds; and brain stem death.
(2) In the Property and Affairs Report: Capacity to make an LPA; and remuneration for non-professional deputies.
(3) In the Practice and Procedure Report: A dispatch from the World Congress on Capacity; and updates on the National Deprivation of Liberty Court for children.
(4) In the Wider Context Report: Draft Mental Health Act Bill is published; Mental capacity and PI awards; values in the Court of Protection; and helpful and interesting videos.
(5) In the Scotland Report: Dispatches from the World Congress
You can find our past issues, our case summaries, and more on our dedicated sub-site here, where you can also find updated versions of both our capacity and best interests guides. We have taken a deliberate decision not to cover all the host of COVID-19 related matters that might have a tangential impact upon mental capacity in the Report. Chambers has created a dedicated COVID-19 page with resources, seminars, and more, here; Alex maintains a resources page for MCA and COVID-19 here, and Neil a page here. If you want more information on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which we frequently refer to in this Report, we suggest you go to the Small Places website run by Lucy Series of Cardiff University.