Chiara accepts instructions across all chambers’ practice areas, and undertakes the full range of work from advisory and pleading to appearing in court. Chiara has appeared as sole counsel in the High Court; the Court of Protection; and in a range of county court matters.
Chiara has a particular interest in public law acting both as sole and junior counsel in a range of domestic and international work. Chiara has assisted in editing chapters on local authority meetings, the structure of local government, and charities in Shackleton on the Law of Meetings (16th edition, forthcoming).
Chiara is a member of ALBA, and UKELA.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Chiara has worked across the non-governmental organisation (NGO) and third sector, including in education, international law, and domestic human rights. Chiara holds an LLM in Public International Law from the London School of Economics.
Chiara is committed to undertaking pro bono work where appropriate, having taken cases with Advocate, and the Free Representation Unit.
Areas of expertise
Administrative and Public
Chiara hopes to develop a broad public law practice and has recently appeared in the High Court on inherent jurisdiction matters representing both local authorities and integrated care boards.
Chiara’s public law practice includes Human Rights Act damages claims, data protection, and regulatory work. She has acted as consultant counsel to the Financial Ombudsman Service, where she advised on a wide range of issues under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
In keeping with her LLM, Chiara has a keen interest in public international law, assisting on a case before the International Court of Justice concerning the Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.
During pupillage Chiara worked on a variety of public law issues including:
- Advising on various judicial reviews encompassing legitimate expectation and discrimination claims
- Assisting with Particulars of Claim
- Drafting a skeleton argument for renewal of permission hearing in judicial review
- Conducting research on a variety of both domestic and European case law and procedure
- Drafting Defences and responses for government departments.
Prior to pupillage Chiara successfully represented Claimants in the Social Security Tribunal with the Free Representation Unit, and provided free written and telephone legal advice on human rights issues to members of the public while at Liberty.
Court of Protection
Chiara regularly appears in the Court of Protection on the welfare pathway, having been instructed by local authorities, integrated care boards and the Official Solicitor. Chiara has also advised on Human Rights Act and negligence claims arising from unlawful deprivations of liberty.
Chiara regularly appears in the county court in small claims and fast track proceedings in personal injury, road traffic, and credit hire claims. Chiara has experience drafting pleadings in clinical negligence cases.
Chiara’s recent work has involved personal injury claims by vulnerable individuals ranging from prisoners to those suffering with gambling addictions.
During pupillage, Chiara gained experience of drafting statements of case, schedules, advices and legal research on a variety of matters including:
- Conducting research for Judith Ayling QC on the Illegality defence in tort and the Human Rights Act
- Drafting pleadings and schedules/counter-schedules of loss in personal injury, fatal accidents and clinical negligence matters
- Advising on liability, pain, suffering and loss of amenity (PSLA) and quantum in personal injury and clinical negligence matters
- Drafting advices for court approval of settlements.
Commercial and Construction
During pupillage, Chiara gained experience in a variety of construction and commercial matters including:
- Drafting witness statements for construction adjudication proceedings
- Assisting in the preparation of a response to an adjudication referral
- Advising property owners on enforceability of deeds in relation to a cladding issue
- Advising on government procurement procedures
- Assisting in drafting of claim forms for competition law claims
- Drafting particulars of claim for contractual disputes.
Environmental and Planning
During pupillage, Chiara was involved in a variety of planning and environmental law matters including:
- Resisting a series of judicial reviews to a major housing development
- Assisting on defences to criminal charges brought in relation to enforcement notices
- Advising homeowners on whether developments made to their property were lawful
- Advising commercial real estate owners as to the continuing viability of their planning permission for major development works
- Advising landowners on the removal of planning restrictions on their land following disputes as to proper title.