Local Authority Support for Persons from Abroad (MBL Seminars)
Sian Davies will present a seminar on 'Local Authority Support for Persons from Abroad - A Guide to the Statutory Regime' in conjunction with MBL Seminars on the 10th May 2018.
The course will review the key legislation including the Care Act, Children Act and Housing Act together with the relevant case law. There will also be a consideration of changes to the support provisions which are affected by the Immigration Act 2016.
This will be an informative and practical session with a focus on understanding the law and how it should be applied.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- 'No recourse to public funds' - An overview of immigration status
- Status and its effect on eligibility for local authority support under the:
- Children Act 1989 (Including care leavers)
- Care Act 2014
- Housing Act 1996
- Localism Act 2011
- When is an EEA right being exercised - Who is a 'worker' and when is a family member of an EEA national exercising EU residence rights?
- Human rights assessments - What these should contain
- Providing and ending the service
- The Immigration Act 2016