Matthias Kelly QC will join Lord Hendy this evening in this webinar hosted by the Society of English & American Lawyers (SEAL).
Date and Time:
Tuesday 23rd June @ 6pm (Zoom link will work from 5.45pm)
They will discuss Public Inquiries as well as internal inquiries and their role in the English legal system, as well as reflecting on their experiences and their take-away. Lord Hendy QC of Old Square Chambers and Matthias Kelly QC/SC of 39 Essex Chambers, London and Merchants Quay Chambers, Dublin, have each appeared in many high-profile inquests and inquiries, including the Grenfell Tower Inquiry and the Mid Staffordshire Hospital Trust Inquiry.
Lord Hendy QC has appeared in many high-profile inquests and inquiries, including:
- the Grenfell Tower Inquiry (instructed by the Fire Brigade Union) (ongoing)
- the Lakanal House fire inquest (for the bereaved and injured) 2013
- The Leveson Inquiry (for the NUJ), 2011-2012 (see his cross examination of Rupert Murdoch by clicking on his website)
- The Potters Bar train crash inquest (for the bereaved), 2010
- the Ladbroke Grove Train Crash inquiry (for the victims), 2000
- the Southall Train Crash inquiry (for the victims), 1999
- the Street Markets inquiry for LB Tower Hamlets (chaired), 1991
- the Woolf inquiry into the Strangeways Prison Riot (for the POA), 1990
- the Kings Cross Fire disaster (for the Association of London Local Authorities) 1986.
Matthias Kelly QC SC, who was also the former Chair of the Bar of England and Wales, has appeared in many high-profile inquests and inquiries, including:
- Disclosures Tribunal, 14 th October 2019, continuing in Dublin Castle, before Mr Justice Sean Ryan, former President of the Court of Appeal, acting for Garda Nicholas Keogh, a serving member of An Garda Siochana who made a protected disclosure.
- Counsel to Ampleforth Abbey and School, Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, 2016-2019.
- Mid Staffordshire Hospital Trust Inquiry.
- Independent review of the financial affairs and administration of ASLEF (Train drivers Union) between 1994 and 2004 conducted for the Union’s Executive Committee; 2004.
- Independent review of discovery by the Department of Education and Science to the Commission to inquire into child abuse in Irish Institutions. 2004.
- Chairman of the Hepatitis C Working Party established by the Haemophilia Society in September 2001, to devise costed proposals for a financial assistance fund to recognise the loss and suffering of peoplewith haemophilia resulting from their infection with hepatitis C (HCV). Reported March 2002.
Join Zoom Meeting (Please register in advance)
Meeting ID: 860 0336 3036
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,86003363036#,,1#,250325# US (San Jose)
+19292056099,,86003363036#,,1#,250325# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)