“Something of a legend in his own lifetime.” Chambers and Partners
“A veteran arbitrator and mediator in Asia and beyond.” The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
With a career in the law spanning more than 50 years, Edwin has acquired extensive experience as a popular arbitrator and an outstandingly successful mediator, having a “hands on” style which has helped him successfully to settle in excess of 90 per cent of many hundreds of mediations in which he has been appointed, both domestically and internationally. In addition to more than 300 domestic disputes, he has conducted arbitrations and mediations in India, Africa, Asia, Australia, Caribbean, France, Germany, Holland, Hong Kong, the Middle East, Mauritius, South Africa, and USA.
Edwin was the founding chairman of the Singapore International Mediation Centre and remains its Honorary Advisor, and is the Vice-President of the Arbitration Foundation of Southern Africa.
He accepts arbitral appointments from all major institutions, including ICC, LCIA, JAMS, SIAC, AFSA, in addition to ad hoc appointments.
Edwin was chairman of the Financial Reporting Review Panel between 1992 and 1998, has extensive experience in complex financial disputes, and is a judge of the Qatar Financial Regulatory Tribunal, responsible principally for handling complex international financial matters.
He also has a particular interest in legal education: he was the founding chairman of both International Advocacy Training Council and of the UK Bar’s Advocacy Training Council.
Edwin has served as a judge, chairman or president on several prestigious panels and lectured on law, advocacy and ethics around the world. He also has extensive experience in sporting matters, and was the chairman of Sport Resolutions UK and President of the FIA International Tribunal and Vice-President of the International Court of Appeal for more than 10 years.
He was awarded CBE 1998 for services to the City of London and has been presented Lifetime Achievement Awards both in the UK and in South Africa.
Areas of expertise
Cases of note:
- International airport construction, US$300m.
- Corporate fraud allegations, US$100m.
- Oil rig construction dispute, US$150m.
- International tunnel construction dispute, €100m.
- International tunnel construction dispute, US$50m.
- Personal injury claim, £10m.
- Multiple disputes arising out of Southern African infrastructure project, R40bn.
- Share-dealing dispute, £110m.
- Numerous hospital private finance initiative (PFI) matters.
Cases of note:
- Insurance issues arising out of dam construction, US$10bn.
- Insurance/ reinsurance coverage dispute, £30m.
- International railway construction dispute, US$30m.
- Asian telecommunications dispute, US$100m.
- Multi-party international oil trading dispute, £50m.
- Multi-party Russian corporate dispute involving complex allegations of fraud, US$150m.
- African mining and complex international partnership dispute, US$80m.
Edwin has acted as arbitrator in a variety of sports disputes, including commercial disputes between sporting bodies, contractual disputes between agents/players/managers/clubs in football and rugby, and disciplinary issues in many sports including motor racing, horse racing, rugby, football, athletics, gymnastics, table tennis and snooker.
Edwin is recommended for Commercial Dispute Resolution, Public Inquiries and Mediation by Chambers and Partners, and The Legal 500 for Mediation and Sport.
Legal Business Awards Lawyer of the Year 2005.
- “A veteran arbitrator and mediator in Asia and beyond.” The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- “His experience is unparalleled and it is impossible to pull the wool over his eyes.” The Legal 500
- “Something of a legend in his own lifetime.” Chambers and Partners
- “Subtle yet highly effective, particularly at defusing emotion.” Chambers and Partners
- “Incredible degree of experience.” Chambers and Partners