Welcome to the October 2017 Mental Capacity Report. Highlights this month include:
(1) In the Health, Welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Report: serious medical treatment cases and the involvement of the CoP, family members and Rule 3A and DoLS before the European Court of Human Rights;
(2) In the Property and Affairs Report: financial abuse at home and tools to combat financial scamming;
(2) In the Practice and Procedure Report: a transparency update, a guest article on welfare cases in practice before the CoP and a problematic case on capacity thresholds and the inherent jurisdiction;
(3) In the Wider Context Report: the LGO and the MCA 2005, an update on the assisted dying challenge, the Mental Health Act review and guidance for enabling serious ill people to travel;
(4) In the Scotland Report: the Scottish Public Guardian on powers of attorney problems and a sideways judicial look at the meaning of support.
You can find all our past issues, our case summaries, and more on our dedicated sub-site here, and our one-pagers of key cases on the SCIE website.
We also take this opportunity to welcome Katie Scott to the editorial team!