* Called 2001 (Avvocato, Bar of Florence)
Andrea Biondi is Professor of European Union Law and Director of the Centre of European Law at King’s College London.
In his practice, he has provided expert opinions in arbitration proceedings involving EU law and represented clients in national and EU litigation in cases dealing with EU law, State aid, including fiscal aid, infrastructure, aviation and energy. He regularly advises governments and private clients.
Professor Biondi’s research interests are in European Union law, with particular emphasis on state aid law, trade law and regulation as well as judicial protection of EU rights. He has published extensively on each of these areas. His interests also cover post-Brexit UK-EU relations.
He has a distinguished academic record with visiting positions at leading universities, including Georgetown University, the College of Europe, University of Paris II, Bocconi University in Milan and University of Rome La Sapienza. He was the Senior Legal Advisor on EU law to the office of the Prime Minister of Italy from 2015 – 2017.
Recent publications include:
- ‘Governing the Interregnum: State Aid in times of Covid 19’, Market and Competition Law Journal (2020).
- The application of national law by the ECB: not new yet old’ in European Business Law Review (2020) .
- “Brexit”, entry for Enciclopedia Treccani, May 2020.
- “State Aid to Banks: an evolving notion”, Annali AISDUE, 2019.
- Biondi. P. Birkinshaw & M Kendrick (eds), ‘Brexit: The Legal Implications’, Kluwer, 2018
- ‘Brexit and State Aid: Four Quartets’, Journal of Competition Law, 1, 2018
- ‘Towards a theory of selectivity of fiscal measures’, K Lenaerts (eds) LiberAmicorum Judge Tizzano, Giuffre Milan, 2018.
- Evidence on state aid and Brexit’ House of Lords EU Committee. ‘Brexit: competition and State aid.’ 12th Report of Session 2017-19 – published 2 February 2018 – HL Paper 67.
- Damages and Liability Actions in EU law’, (with M Farley) in Oxford Principles of European Union Law – Volume I: The European Union Legal Order, R. Schutze, T. Tridimas, Oxford University, 2018.
- Biondi et al ‘Solidarity in EU Law: A Legal Principle in the Making, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2018.
- ‘The Notice of the notion of aid: every light has its shadow’ (with S Oana) in B. Nascinmbene (eds.)‘The Modernization of State Aid Control’, Springer, 2018.
- ‘State aid, education and fiscal exemptions to the Catholic Church’ in Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, Vol 9, Issue 2, 2018, 110
- ‘Past, present and an uncertain future: UK Courts and the impact of EU law’, in Federalismi, vol.18, n.2, 2018. 1.
- Biondi & P. Birkinshaw (ed.) ‘Britain Alone?’, Kluwer, 2016.