Adam Boukraa practises across all areas of Chambers’ work, with a particular interest in public law and human rights, regulatory law, financial services, commercial law, and environmental and planning. He appears regularly in court, as well as undertaking pleading and advisory work.
Banking & Finance
Adam has a significant amount of experience in financial services. Examples of his work include:
- Acting for the Financial Ombudsman Service in striking out claims for damages and defending judicial review applications. Advising the FOS on a wide range of issues, including: financial product mis-selling, consumer credit, statutory jurisdiction, insurance, loan agreements and unregulated collective investment schemes.
- Acting as part of a team appointed as a s.166 FSMA skilled person, assessing consequential loss claims within a major FCA review of mis-sold interest rate hedging products.
- Assisting with disclosure in a high value claim against a credit ratings agency.
Regulatory & Disciplinary
Adam has a broad range of experience in regulatory and disciplinary law. Examples of his work include:
- Assisting a healthcare regulator in responding to an investigation report, covering issues such as governance and fitness to practise (with Alison Foster QC).
- Preparing witness statements for use on behalf of the regulator in HCPC proceedings.
- Acting as part of a team appointed as a s.166 FSMA skilled person in a major FCA review of mis-sold interest rate hedging products.
- Assisting with the preparation of internal disciplinary cases against employees of a European organisation (with Alison Foster QC).
- Researching issues around the evidential basis for an interim suspension order against a psychotherapist in UKCP proceedings.
- Contributing to the chapter on the jurisdiction of regulators in the 8th edition of Jordan’s “Regulatory and Disciplinary Proceedings”.
Administrative & Public
Adam has a broad public law practice. Examples of his recent work include:
- Acting for the Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee in judicial review proceedings against the Secretary of State for Health, challenging a decision on funding for community pharmacy services. The grounds of challenge included breach of the Secretary of State’s Tameside duty and consultation obligations (with Alison Foster QC and Saima Hanif).
- Acting for the Financial Ombudsman Service in defending judicial review applications, as well as advising on a wide variety of issues, including jurisdiction and statutory powers.
- R (Horeau and others) v Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs  EWHC 2102 (Admin): Defending a challenge to a consultation on the potential resettlement of individuals removed from the Chagos Islands (with Kieron Beal QC and Penelope Nevill).
- Kimathi v Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Assisting in the FCO’s defence of a large group of claims relating to the Mau Mau uprising, including two research trips to Kenya.
- Representing applicants for immigration bail in the First-Tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber), instructed pro bono by Bail for Immigration Detainees.
Adam has experience of a variety of commercial work. Examples include:
- Financial services (see further under the separate heading below).
- Defending a car manufacturer in a breach of warranty claim.
- Defending a green energy company in a claim for misrepresentation and breach of contract.
- Defending a heating service and maintenance company against allegations of professional negligence.
Environment, Planning & Property
Adam has a developing practice in environmental and planning law. Examples of his work include:
- Bains v Hounslow LBC  PAD 33: Successfully representing the appellant in challenging an enforcement notice on a residential property.
- Defending a statutory undertaker against claims arising out of sewage flooding.
- Researching the hierarchy of environmental and planning law responsibilities for the clean-up of contaminated land.
- Identifying potential causes of action where waste has been deposited on land, including nuisance, negligence, trespass and s.34 EPA 1990.
- Assisting the update of the leading practitioner text on contaminated land.
Adam has represented claimants and defendants in a wide range of county court hearings arising, amongst other matters, out of road traffic accidents, occupiers’ liability claims and allegations of professional negligence. He appears regularly in fast track trials, applications, small claim hearings and multi-track case management conferences, and also undertakes a range of pleading and advisory work.